The Department of Zoology was established in the year 2008 to cater to the needs of rural students, with an intake of 35. The department is offering P.G and Ph. D in Zoology (Part-time and full-time). Vision of the department is to provide students with sound knowledge and understanding the theoretical concepts and laboratory practices in the frontiers of animal sciences. The mission is to impart comprehensive knowledge and extensive training in the areas of zoology to the economically poor students of this region, along with others.To train and guide students the department has 4 well-qualified and experienced teaching faculty (associate professors) and one adjunct faculty from University of South Florida. So far, around 400 students have graduated and most of them have been placed in decent employment in diverse areas, with the majority in grooming students (teaching). To support them, two young academic consultants are also present. In addition, three non-teaching support staff, one laboratory assistant, and two office assistants, are present for the smooth functioning of the department.
• Besides teaching, we are helping students to hone up teaching skills through regular seminar classes.
• The department has two well equipped laboratories to impart practical training to students.
• So far,11 students got Ph.D. degrees and at present 12 more are pursuing research.
• Two students got prestigious DST’s Inspire fellowship, awarded to first rank holders to pursue research.
• More than ten students have cleared APSET.
• The faculty of Zoology has published around 200 research articles in journals of national and international repute.
• Several books and book chapters were published by teaching staff.
• They also delivered /participated in scientific deliberations on national as well as international platforms.
• Seven-Seminars/ workshops of national level were conducted by the Department of Zoology.
• Department has beautiful butterfly park and well documented insect museum.
• Well established research laboratories to pursue and train research students.
• Department of Zoology faculty has several prestigious awards such as UGC-Raman Postdoctoral fellowship in USA, AP Scientist Award, AP State Meritorious Teacher Award, A.P. State Biodiversity best conserver award – 2017, DST Young Scientist etc. Recipient of Young Fishery Scientist Award-2021, Recipient of Eminent Parasitologist Award-2020 etc.
• Department of Zoology faculty have successfully completed research projects funded by funding agencies such as DST/CSIR/DBT/UGC/SERB and private funding.
• Virtual dissection software, Experimental Animal Facility, Butterfly park, Insect museum, Animal cell culture laboratory, Common Central Instrumentation Facility with Ultra-pure water purification system, Incubators, Shakers, PCR machines, Gas Chromatography etc.
Laboratory practicals, Computer aided learning (LCD), ICT enabled class room, Virtual Demonstration, Guest Lectures Student seminars and study tours.
• Several students received INSPIRE/APSET/ RGNF/Pratibha awards.
• Ph.D. degree awardees from the department are currently working in various Institutions and Laboratories.
• Successful M.Sc.(Zoology) Post-Graduates of the department were placed in various institutions (teaching/pharma/aquaculture/pursuing higher studies) .
Besides organizing the seminars and workshops, the department also regularly organizes a series of lectures for students and research scholars by inviting eminent professors and scientists from reputed institutions and laboratories.
Students from the department are regularly involved in NSS activities, blood donation camps, etc.
Contemplating to go for SAP funding from UGC, FIST from DST. Establishment of Zoology Museum. Up gradation of existing Animal House Facility. Departmental Library strengthening. Collaborations and MoU with Institutes / Universities.
Dr. N. Venkata Rami Reddy, P.I., Project Title: “Nitrated-Fatty Acids as Anti-oxidant and Anti-inflammatory Therapy for Acute Lung Injury” Period of the Project: 2018-2022 (3.6 Years), Sponsoring Agency: SERB-India and Total Project Outlay: Rs.54,00,000/-.
Dr. N. Venkata Rami Reddy, P.I., Project Title: “Role of Nitrated fatty acids in immunosupression” Period of the Project: 2012-15 (3 Years), Sponsoring Agency: DST-SERB and Total Project Outlay: Rs.18,00,000/-
Dr. N. Venkata Rami Reddy, P.I., Dr. A.T. Venkatramana Reddy, Co-PI, Project Title: “Identification novel endogenous peroxisome proliferator-activated gamma (PPARγ) ligands in adipogenesis " Period of the Project: 2011-14 (3 Years), Sponsoring Agency: ISRO and Total Project Outlay: Rs. 17,00,000/-
Dr. N. Venkata Rami Reddy, P.I., Project Title: “Role of Nuclear Receptors on airway inflammation and remodeling” Period of the Project: 2011-14 (3 Years), Sponsoring Agency: DBT and Total Project Outlay: Rs.37,00,000/-.
Dr. N. Venkata Rami Reddy, P.I., Project Title: “Role of Nitrated fatty acids in lung fibrosis” Period of the Project: 2010-12 (2 Years), Sponsoring Agency: Virchow Biotech Pvt. Limited, Hyderabad and Total Project Outlay: Rs.5,00,000/-.
Dr. S.P. Venkata Ramana, P.I., Project title: Captive breeding and conservation of endangered Butterflies in the hill regions of southern Andhra Pradesh”. CSIR New Delhi (2011-2014) (Completed) 14 Lakhs.
Dr. S.P. Venkata Ramana, P.I., Project title: - “Biodiversity of insect fauna - A major survey in the Eastern Ghats of Southern Andhra Pradesh” .UGC (New Delhi) (2013-2017) (Completed) 9 Lakhs.
Dr. V. Anu prasanna, P.I., Project Title: “Studies on parasite-fauna of elasmobranchs off Nellore coast, Bay of Bengal with special reference to ecological aspects” CSIR Grant No. No. 37(1592)/13/EMR-II, dated 09-04-2013. Period of the Project: 2013-16 (3 Years), Sponsoring Agency: CSIR and Total Project Outlay: Rs. 16,12,509/-.
P.I: Dr. N. Venkata Rami Reddy, Department of Zoology,“ Nitrated-Fatty Acids as Anti-oxidant and Antiinflammatory Therapy for Acute Lung Injury” Period of the Project: 2018-21 (3 Years), Sponsoring Agency: DST-SERB and Total Project Outlay: Rs. 53,92,000/-..
Kadapa, Y.S.R Kadapa
Andhra Pradesh, India
Zip/Pin Code: 516005
I am indebted to the faculty of the University, who inculcated scientific temper and research aptitude and I think YVU is a happening place for qualitative research.
The academic ambience and infrastructure of the University are the hallmarks, I consider myself to be lucky to be here and I foresee a bright future in pursuit of Science.
Yogi Vemana University is certainly a hub for meaningful research activities. Research in social sciences here bears contemporary relevance and addresses societal problems.
Yogi Vemana University installed faith in me to explore new avenues in liberal arts which mates us more humane and civilized.