Five-year Integrated M. Sc. in Biotechnology and Bioinformatics course established in Yogi Vemana University from the academic year 2007-08 with the intake of 20 students. The Biotechnology and Bioinformatics course is designed to help the students gain enough knowledge and an adequate practical understanding of contemporary Biology and Biotechnology so that they can pursue research in frontier areas in biotechnology. The duration of this course is 5 years (10 semesters) and as per the New Education Policy 2020, the course has been designed with multiple exits or entry options with appropriate certificates (certificate after completing 1 year, or a diploma after 2 years of study, or a Bachelor’s degree after a 3-year programme, or Bachelor’s degree with honors/Research after a 4-year programme, and finally Master’s degree after completion of 5 years).
The Department of Biotechnology & Bioinformatics currently has four full-time faculty members and four academic consultants. A team of highly-qualified, experienced faculty members specialized in thrust research areas viz: Plant biotechnology, microbial biotechnology, animal biotechnology, cancer biology, proteomics and bioinformatics, have a great passion to share their knowledge with the students and collaborate with other departments. In addition, one (1) technical assistant, one (2) Laboratory Assistant and 1 office assistant are working in the department. The faculty of the Department has published around 300 articles in journals of international repute with high-impact factor and authored 3 books in their respective disciplines. Faculty has successfully guided 9 Ph.D. scholars and currently 6 research scholars are pursuing research in the department.
• Department of Biotechnology & Bioinformatics faculty has successfully completed research projects funded by funding agencies such as DST/SERB/CSIR/DBT/UGC/Agri-Science Park and considerable numbers of projects are under progress.
• Department faculty has got DBT CREST (DBT-Overseas Fellowship) Award to get advanced training at Pennsylvania State University, USA.
The Department of Biotechnology and bioinformatics is having Research Collaborations and Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the following.
• Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, USA.
Purpose: Research collaboration.
• Max-Planck Institute of Evolutionary Biology, Plon, Germany.
Purpose: Academic/Research exchange, Research collaboration.
• University of Hyderabad, School of Life Sciences, Hyderabad, India.
Purpose: Academic/Research exchange.
• Oncosimis Biotech Private Limited, Hyderabad, India.
Purpose: Research collaboration/technical support/placements.
Laboratory Facilities for the 5 Year M.Sc. (Biotech & Bioinfo.) Students
• General Laboratory – 1 for biochemistry, and biotechnology practical.
• General laboratory – 2 for microbiology, cell biology, and molecular biology practical.
• Computational facility for bioinformatics practical.
Research Laboratories / Facilities
• Animal cell culture facility.
• Plant tissue culture facility.
• Microbiology laboratory facility.
• Fluorescence microscopy facility.
• Molecular biology laboratory.
• UV-Visible Spectrophotometer.
The research facilities of the department are being extensively used by the researchers of neighboring Universities/Institutions/Laboratories either through collaboration. Also utilizing the well-established research laboratories available in the YVU campus in individual departments and also sophisticated instruments available at Central Instrumentation facilities, Sir C V Raman Science Complex, YVU campus.
Departmental Library has a number of subject books and titles for promoting effective learning among students and research scholars.
Students are encouraged to visit Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Central Library and utilize the facilities. Powerpoint presentations using LCD, animated pictures/movies related to concepts of biotechnology and bioinformatics and their practical experiments etc., are shown to students for better understanding. All teachers can access the internet through their personal computers and engage online classes on the Microsoft Teams platform.
Computer Facilities are available for all the students of biotechnology and bioinformatics. Students utilize these systems for their practical work and perform docking and other bioinformatics experiments in the presence of a teacher.
The department assesses its teaching, and learning activities through the following:
• Accessibility of course material to students, Student attendance, Regular monitoring of students performance, assignments, seminars and debates.
• Remedial classes are organized for academically weak students based on their needs.
• Board of Studies, Feedback and Self-appraisals & Academic audit, Periodic evaluation, Internal assessment, Semester-end examinations, External valuation (Valuation & Viva-voce) and Transparency in evaluation.
• Student feedback on Teachers.
• Teachers are deputed for refresher and orientation courses.
• Prestigious DST’s INSPIRE Fellowship to the First Rank Students to pursue Ph.D. degree: 1.
• Indian National Science Academy awarded students to pursue their internship at reputed CSIR institutes, BARC, or Universities.
• Indian Academy of Science awarded Summer Projects to pursue their intership at reputed Universities.
• Ph.D. degree awardees from the department are currently working in various National and International Institutions and Laboratories.
• Successfully completed 5 Year Integrated M.Sc. students in Biotechnology & Bioinformatics were placed in various institutions for teaching/pursuing higher studies and also recruited at reputed Biotechnology industries at national and international levels.
• Moulana Azad National Fellowship awarded to minority students.
• CSIR – JRF qualified and awarded fellowships to pursue Ph. D studies.
The department of Biotechnology & Bioinformatics is regularly organizing a series of lectures for the students by inviting Eminent Professors/Scientists from reputed Institutions / Laboratories.
The Department is organizing Biotechnology Awareness camps within and offside campus.
The Department is organizing national and international seminars as well as conferences regularly to advance students’ knowledge in the field of biotechnology and bioinformatics.
• As a part of the service to society objective of the University, the department has conducted awareness programmes on the importance of biotechnology in agriculture and health to the rural people.
• Organizing health camps by the department students in nearby villages of Yogi Vemana University.
• Organizing open house/science exhibitions for secondary school students every year on the occasion of National Science Day and motivating them to pursue their higher education in science.
• To improve infrastructure and equipment facilities in the teaching/research laboratories of Biotechnology and bioinformatics.
• To develop a Center of Excellence with advanced research facilities in the areas of Animal biotechnology, Plant biotechnology and its role in increasing the shelf life of foods to brighten the economy of farmers.
• To develop the Bioinformatics Centre at Yogi Vemana University to cater to the scientific needs of the regional scientific community.
• To establish the Centre for Biotechnology & Bioinformatics under financial support from DST-FIST/DBT-PURSE programs.
Dr. K. Riazunnisa, Principal Investigator, Project Title: “Screening and identification of drought tolerant cultivar of onion (Allium cepa L.) in Kadapa district for varietal development”, Period of the Project: 2013-16 (3 Years), Total Project Outlay: Rs. 24,80,000/-.
Dr. K. Riazunnisa, Principal Investigator, Collection of germplasm of onion and screening for salt tolerant germplasm by biochemical studies. Total Project Outlay: Rs. 1,50,000/-.
Dr. M. Madakka, Principal Investigator, Project Title: Zinc-Microbe Interactions in the Sediments of Contaminated Thungabadhra river by Industrial Effluents in Kurnool District, A.P. (SR/FT/LS-40/2011), Period of the Project: 2012-15 (3 Years), Total Project Outlay: Rs. 19,95,000/-.
Dr. V. Ramakrishna, Principal Investigator, Project Title: “Investigation of neuroprotective agents from Ficus religiosa extracts against oxidative stress induced DNA damage and repair mechanisms in neuroblastoma cells. (SR/SO/HS-0040/2011)” Period of the Project: 2014-18 (3 Years), Sponsoring Agency: DST-SERB and Total Project Outlay: Rs.33,33,000/-.
Dr. V. Ramakrishna, Principal Investigator, Project Title: “Obesity enhanced colorectal cancer prevention through Amla bioactive compounds”, Period of Project: 2012-13, Sponsoring Agency: DBT and Total Project Outlay: Rs. 24,00,000/-.
Dr. V. Ramakrishna, Principal Investigator, Project Title: “Antibacterial effect of Amla extract against ESBL producing multidrug resistant bacteria”, Period of Project: 2010-12, Sponsoring Agency: Agri-Science Park and Total Project Outlay: Rs.1,50,000/-.
Dr. C. Madhava Reddy, Co-Principal Investigator, Project Title: Molecular signaling during thymus involution and its application for the prevention of age associated diseases and cancer. Period of the Project: 2018-21 (3 Years), Sponsoring Agency: SERB and Total Project Outlay: Rs. 42,17,000/-.
Dr. C. Madhava Reddy, Principal Investigator, Project Title: “Molecular mechanism(s) of DNA interstand crosslink recognition and processing by mismatch repair protein in mammalian cells, Period of the Project: 2013-16 (3 Years), Sponsoring Agency: UGC and Total Project Outlay: Rs. 10,56,000/-.
Kadapa, Y.S.R Kadapa
Andhra Pradesh, India
Zip/Pin Code: 516005
I am indebted to the faculty of the University, who inculcated scientific temper and research aptitude and I think YVU is a happening place for qualitative research.
The academic ambience and infrastructure of the University are the hallmarks, I consider myself to be lucky to be here and I foresee a bright future in pursuit of Science.
Yogi Vemana University is certainly a hub for meaningful research activities. Research in social sciences here bears contemporary relevance and addresses societal problems.
Yogi Vemana University installed faith in me to explore new avenues in liberal arts which mates us more humane and civilized.