The Department of Biochemistry was started during the academic year 2005-06, in erstwhile Sri Venkateswara University Postgraduate Centre, Kadapa. Later became full-fledged department in 2007 under Yogi Vemana University. The department shall create the right academic ambience for the pursuit of true knowledge with character with emphasis on teaching, research and service in consonance with the vision and objectives of the University. The department set out high standards to develop in to a centre of excellence in knowledge and research with teaching and research facilities.
At present the Department of Biochemistry has two regular faculty members having rich research experience in India and abroad besides four Academic Consultants with good teaching skills. In addition, one Laboratory Assistant, one Lab Technician and two office assistants are working in the department. The faculty of the Department has published around 80 articles in peer reviewed journals and authored 6 books. Faculty has successfully guided 5 Ph.D. scholars and currently 2 research scholars are pursuing doctoral research in the department.
• Dept. of Biochemistry, YVU entered a MoU with Dept. of Biochemistry, Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS), Kadapa, A.P, India in February 2009 to provide better Clinical Biochemistry services to patients and to collaborate in research and training. The faculty of Biochemistry, YVU has undertaken special teaching for Biochemistry students of RIMS.
• With Faculty of Agrobased Industry (FIAP), Universiti Malaysia Kelantan, Kelantan, Malaysia - Academic/Research exchange.
• Department of Biochemistry faculty has successfully completed research projects funded by funding agencies such as DST/DBT/UGC.
• Prof.K.Vali Pasha - Aflatoxin and nutritive aspects of locally consumed staple foods. Collaborative Research with Prof. B. Sashidhar Rao, Department of Biochemistry, Osmania University, Hyderabad.
• Prof.K.Vali Pasha - “On the role of small heat shock protein, αB crystallin in health & disease” project. Collaborative Research with Dr. Ch. Mohan Rao, Ex.Director, CCMB, Hyderabad.
a) High-speed internet facilities for staff and students.
b) Wi-Fi internet connectivity.
c) Departmental Library.
d) Total number of class rooms : 02
d) Students’ laboratories : 02
e) Research laboratories : 02
• UV-VIS Spectrophotometer
• Bench top Centrifuges
• Laminar Airflows
• Hot Air Ovens
• Water baths
• Colony counter
• Compound Microscopes
• Double Distillation Unit
• Hybridization Chamber
• High Speed Refrigerated Centrifuge
• Showcase Cooler
• Electrophoresis Units
• -20o C Deep Freezer
• Orbital Shaker
• ELISA Reader
• Semi-Auto Analyzer
• Animal House Facility
Departmental Library has number of subject books and titles for promoting effective learning among students and research scholars. Students are encouraged/advised to visit centralized internet facility in the Central Library.
Power point presentation by using LCD, animated picture movies related to Molecular biology and Genetic engineering, immunology etc.,are shown to students for better understanding.
All the teachers can access internet through their personal computers.
• Accessibility of Course material to students, Student attendance, Regular monitoring of students performance, Assignments, Seminars and Debates.
• Remedial classes are organized to academically weak students based on their needs.
• Board of studies, Feedback and Self-appraisals & Academic audit, Periodic evaluation, Internal assessment, Semester-end examinations, External valuation (Valuation & Viva-voce) and Transparency in evaluation.
• Student feedback on Teachers.
• Teachers are deputed for refresher and orientation courses.
• Sri. Chagari Gangi Reddy Memorial Gold Medal to be awarded annually to M.Sc. Biochemistry student for securing highest marks in the course.
• Prestigious DST’s INSPIRE Fellowship to the First Rank Students to pursue Ph.D. degree: 1.
• UGC- National Fellowship for SC students for pursuing Ph.D. in Biochemistry: 1.
Successful M.Sc.(Biochemistry) Post-Graduates of the department were placed in various institutions for teaching/persuing higher studies at University of Hyderabad, IISC, Bangalore, Sri Padmavathi Mahila University, S.V. University, S.K. University and IIT-Kharagpur. Eleven students have been awarded UGC/CSIR-JRF-NET to carry out their Ph. D programme. Some are employed in various Government organizations and private sectors, Pharmaceutical companies, R & D units of Biotech companies and various National Laboratories. Two students of this department got Research Assistant positions in USA.
Distinguished and outstanding teachers and scientists of national and international repute are invited. Department of Biochemistry is regularly organizing series of lectures benefiting teachers, students and research scholars.
• Prof. B. Sashidhar Rao, Department of Biochemistry, Osmania University, Hyderabad.
• Prof. U. Satyanarayana, Department of Biochemistry Siddartha Medical College, Vijayawada.
• Prof.A.Krishna Prasad, Department of Medicine, Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences (NIMS), Hyderabad.
• Dr.Ch.Mohan Rao, Ex.Director, CCMB, Hyderabad.
• Dr.M.Raghunath, Dy.Director, National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad.
• Prof. Vijay Desh Pande, Department of Biochemistry Osmania University, Hyderabad.
As a part of service to society objective of the University, the department has conducted medical camps, blood donation programs and also conducted public awareness programmes to educate the rural people about health care. Some of them are
• Blood Donation camp on July 8th 2010 and on Nov. 23rd 2010 in YVU campus.
• Blood Grouping camp on YVU campus, Kadapa, Dec. 2011.
• Blood donation and Blood grouping camp at Thummalur and Kopparthi village on Feb, 2012.
• Blood donation and Blood grouping camp on 64th Jayanthi of Dr. Y.S.R at YVU, July, 2013.
• Medical and Blood grouping camp at Vellatur on 14th March 2014.
• Radio programmes and Health related articles in Telugu news papers creating public awareness.
• To improve infrastructure and equipment facilities in the teaching labs.
• To develop a Center of Excellence with advanced research facilities in the area of Nutritional and Clinical Biochemistry, Biochemical Action of Herbal Drugs, Antioxidants in Health and Disease, Molecular Endocrinology, Reproductive Toxicology.
P.I: Dr. A. Dinakar Rao, Department of Biochemistry, “Molecular Cloning, Characterization and functional analysis of Lipoxygenase (LOX) gene from Horse gram (Dolichas biflonas) germinating seedling” Period of the Project: 2009-12 (3 years), Sponsoring Agency : DST and Total Project Outlay: Rs.11,00,000/-.
P.I: Dr. A. Dinakar Rao transferred to Dr. P. Ramachandra Reddy and Co-PI: Dr. L. Veeranjaneya Reddy, Department of Biochemistry & Microbiology, “Isolation of Molecular Characterization of Lipoxygenase (LOX) Genea(s) from Finger Millet (Eleuocene Coracona)” Period of the Project: 2009-12 (3 Years), Sponsoring Agency: DBT and Total Project Outlay: Rs.28,90,000/-.
P.I: Dr. P. Ramachandra Reddy, Department of Biochemistry, “Is Mthylfarnesoate really regulates reproduction in Crab?” Period of the Project: 2010-13 (3 Years), Sponsoring Agency: DST (Fast Track) and Total Project Outlay: Rs.19,28,000/-.
P.I: Dr. P. Ramachandra Reddy, Department of Biochemistry, “Isolation and molecular characterization of molt-inhibiting hormone (MIH) gene(s) from the eyestalks of freshwater crab Oziotelphusa senex senex. 2012-2015” Period of the Project: 2012-15 (3 Years), Sponsoring Agency: UGC and Total Project Outlay: Rs. 11,80,800/-.
Kadapa, Y.S.R Kadapa
Andhra Pradesh, India
Zip/Pin Code: 516005
I am indebted to the faculty of the University, who inculcated scientific temper and research aptitude and I think YVU is a happening place for qualitative research.
The academic ambience and infrastructure of the University are the hallmarks, I consider myself to be lucky to be here and I foresee a bright future in pursuit of Science.
Yogi Vemana University is certainly a hub for meaningful research activities. Research in social sciences here bears contemporary relevance and addresses societal problems.
Yogi Vemana University installed faith in me to explore new avenues in liberal arts which mates us more humane and civilized.